The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 10 September 2019 – Prayer For The Flock
TOPIC: Prayer For The Flock
READ: Philippians 1:1-11 King James Version (KJV)
- Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:
- Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,
- always in every prayer of mine making request
- for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now,
- being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
- just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace.
- For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.
- And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment,
- that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ,
- being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
Today’s text is part of a letter of appreciation to the saints in Christ Jesus in Philippi. The word saint (Acts 9:13) means consecrated to God, holy, sacred, pious.” The word saints is a group of people set apart for the Lord and His kingdom as seen in their godly character (Romans 16:2; Ephesians 4:12). Believers in Christ Jesus are saints! It is only when we surrender to the Lord that He will begin a work in our lives which will continue until Christ returns (Philippians 1:6). The Philippian Church was a partner in ministry to Paul. Whatever support we render to ministers and missionaries, we partner with them in spreading the Gospel.
Paul writing from prison makes him all the more optimistic of seeing them again. His love for them and prayers show they were much endeared to him, he approves of them and was proud of them. I thank my God upon every remembrance of you (verse 3). He prayed for them that their love may abound, not only in giving but also in knowledge, all judgment, ability to approve things that are excellent, sincerity, being filled with the fruit of righteousness and most importantly, remaining without offence till the day of Christ. What a prayer for us today!
PRAYER: Oh Lord, give me grace to be thankful for all things You give to me through people.