The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 11 December 2019 – The Eye Witness Testimony
TOPIC: The Eye Witness Testimony
READ: 1 John 1:1-10 (NKJV)
- That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life
- the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us —
- that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship [is] with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.
- And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.
- This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
- If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
- But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
- If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
- If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
The truth that our Lord Jesus Christ was really in the flesh, that He was no phantom, no shadow mocking the eyes that looked upon Him, is exceedingly important, hence John (whose style in this Epistle, is precisely like the style which he uses in his Gospel), begins by declaring that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who in His eternity was from the beginning, was really a substantial man.
He says, ‘We have heard him.’ Of course, hearing is good evidence! ‘Which we have seen with our eyes’; again what we see clearly with our eyes is good evidence.
We need have no doubt about the reality of Christ’s incarnation when we have these clear evidence.
We should not behave like Thomas (John 20:27), but endeavour to be among those that believe without seeing, and Jesus said that such are blessed (John 20:29).
PRAYER: Father Lord, help me not to doubt Your word in Jesus name. Amen.