The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 12 August 2020 – God Has Not Given You The Spirit Of Fear
TOPIC: God Has Not Given You The Spirit Of Fear
Read: Acts 21:37-22:1-5 (NKJV)
- Then as Paul was about to be led into the barracks, he said to the commander, “May I speak to you?” He replied, “Can you speak Greek?
- “Are you not the Egyptian who some time ago stirred up a rebellion and led the four thousand assassins out into the wilderness?”
- But Paul said, “I am a Jew from Tarsus, in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city; and I implore you, permit me to speak to the people.”
- So when he had given him permission, Paul stood on the stairs and motioned with his hand to the people. And when there was a great silence, he spoke to [them] in the Hebrew language, saying,
- “Brethren and fathers, hear my defense before you now.”
To be fearful is to show lack of courage and confidence, being fainthearted or timid. Such condition enslaves and works against progress in life. No wonder, God warned Joshua after the death of Moses, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid, nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9). Today’s reading reveals how confident and courageous Paul was in the Lord. In the face of severe hostility, he engaged the Army commander who came to rescue him and proved to him that he was not an impostor (verses 38-39). Secondly, he was able to stand in defence of his faith right before his accusers (Acts 22:1-5).
The scripture says that fear has a spirit behind it, which does not come from God. “For God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind” (II Timothy. 1:7). For you to make progress in your profession, ministry or life, you must repose your confidence in God and be courageous enough to break new grounds. Take the step today to resolve the strained relationship; be bold to face challenges in business or academics. Be confident enough to preach the Gospel to your friends, rebuke sin and expose it. Remember, a fearful heart is the cemetery of good intentions.
PRAYER: Lord, help me to overcome fear, endow me with Your Spirit of power, love and sound mind, in Jesus name. Amen.