The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 14 January 2020 – Be Wise
TOPIC: Be Wise
READ: Psalm 142 (NKJV)
- A Contemplation of David. A Prayer when he was in the cave. I cry out to the LORD with my voice; With my voice to the LORD I make my supplication.
- I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble.
- When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk They have secretly set a snare for me.
- Look on [my] right hand and see, For [there is] no one who acknowledges me; Refuge has failed me; No one cares for my soul.
- I cried out to You, O LORD: I said, “You [are] my refuge, My portion in the land of the living.
- Attend to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, For they are stronger than I.
- Bring my soul out of prison, That I may praise Your name; The righteous shall surround me, For You shall deal bountifully with me.”
It was Jean–Jacques Rousseau, an 18th century French Philosopher that said, “Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.” Nobody is immune to trouble– you will change your perception of the people you think are better than you if they tell you their own challenges. In our text, the Psalmist acknowledged that he was in trouble and he poured out his complaints before God and equally declared his trouble to Him. His experience in verse 4 is a lesson to us. At this time of trouble, people abandoned him and no one cared for his soul. Stop complaining. Expecting so much from human beings will only bring you disappointment. It is a general experience that people often abandon one when one is in trouble. The only friend in need is Jesus who is also a friend indeed.
Your problem may not be the troubles you have but the approach you adopt in seeking solution. Trust in God: The arms of flesh will fail you (Jeremiah 17:5). Every person has his own headache and it’s only God that knows how to bring solutions to every problem and such solutions can even come from sources you least expected help. If God does not help you, no one will. Encourage yourself and draw strength from God. It is well with you.
Prayer: Take time to present those problems before God and tell Him exactly how you feel.