The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 August 2019 – Only Acknowledge Your Iniquity
TOPIC: Only Acknowledge Your Iniquity
READ: Jeremiah 3:11-18 King James Version (KJV)
- Then the Lord said to me, “Backsliding Israel has shown herself more righteous than treacherous Judah.
- Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say: ‘Return, backsliding Israel,’ says the Lord; ‘I will not cause My anger to fall on you. For I am merciful,’ says the Lord ; ‘I will not remain angry forever.
- Only acknowledge your iniquity, That you have transgressed against the Lord your God, And have scattered your charms To alien deities under every green tree, And you have not obeyed My voice,’ says the Lord.
- “Return, O backsliding children,” says the Lord; “for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion.
- And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.
- “Then it shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days,” says the Lord , “that they will say no more, ‘The ark of the covenant of the Lord .’ It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, nor shall it be made anymore.
- “At that time Jerusalem shall be called The Throne of the Lord , and all the nations shall be gathered to it, to the name of the Lord , to Jerusalem. No more shall they follow the dictates of their evil hearts.
- “In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given as an inheritance to your fathers.
Many a time, people do feel that their sin has grown so much that God could no longer forgive and accept them back. But the truth still remains that no matter how far you have gone into sin, the love of God is still reaching out and calling on you to return to Him. He said to the backslidden northern kingdom, Israel, “Return only acknowledge your iniquity, that you have transgressed against the LORD Your God And I will give you shepherds according to My heart” (Jeremiah 3:12-14).
You can always count on the fact that: He will not cause His anger to fall on you. He is merciful and will not remain angry forever (Jeremiah 3:12). God does not want to inflict His wrath upon us, but instead, He wants to show us mercy. He makes it possible for us to return to Him and to get to know Him as Friend and Saviour, and not as a Judge. If you will return to Him, there will be joy in heaven.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, we return to You. Please raise helpers for us according to Your heart.