The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 January 2020 – Trust And Obey
TOPIC: Trust And Obey
READ: PSALM 143 (NKJV)
- A Psalm of David. Hear my prayer, O LORD, Give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, [And] in Your righteousness.
- Do not enter into judgment with Your servant, For in Your sight no one living is righteous.
- For the enemy has persecuted my soul; He has crushed my life to the ground; He has made me dwell in darkness, Like those who have long been dead.
- Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me; My heart within me is distressed.
- I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands.
- I spread out my hands to You; My soul [longs] for You like a thirsty land. Selah
- Answer me speedily, O LORD; My spirit fails! Do not hide Your face from me, Lest I be like those who go down into the pit.
- Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, For in You do I trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You.
- Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; In You I take shelter.
- Teach me to do Your will, For You [are] my God; Your Spirit [is] good. Lead me in the land of uprightness.
- Revive me, O LORD, for Your name’s sake! For Your righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.
- In Your mercy cut off my enemies, And destroy all those who afflict my soul; For I [am] Your servant.
As Chinua Achebe put it, as humans, “we need to know where the rain began to beat us.” In continuation of his prayers for help, the Psalmist, in verse 5, reflected on his past experiences. He remembered the days of old. He equally meditated on all the works of God. You need a good sense of history to face the task ahead. Think about the challenges you have faced in the past and how God helped you to overcome them. Pause and reflect on the past. Why then do you lose trust in the same God? God does not change. Your approach to Him concerning that problem you are facing now may be seen as a loss of confidence in Him.
Gather yourself and go back to God in trust. Lamentations 3:37says, “Who is he who speaks and it comes to pass, when the Lord has not commanded it?” Let the Lord who has been your help in the years past continue to be your hope now and in the years to come. Do not give up. Your miracle may be closer than you expect. Just cast all your burdens unto Him, for He cares for you (1 Peter 5:7). No one can lead you to excellence as your Creator can. Cheer up!
PRAYER: In line with the word of God, cast all those burdens on God and ask Him to take care.