The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 16 July 2020 – God’s Leading
TOPIC: God’s Leading
READ: Acts 16:1-10 (NKJV)
- Then he came to Derbe and Lystra. And behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timothy, [the] son of a certain Jewish woman who believed, but his father [was] Greek.
- He was well spoken of by the brethren who were at Lystra and Iconium.
- Paul wanted to have him go on with him. And he took [him] and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in that region, for they all knew that his father was Greek.
- And as they went through the cities, they delivered to them the decrees to keep, which were determined by the apostles and elders at Jerusalem.
- So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and increased in number daily.
- Now when they had gone through Phrygia and the region of Galatia, they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia.
- After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit did not permit them.
- So passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas.
- And a vision appeared to Paul in the night. A man of Macedonia stood and pleaded with him, saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.”
- Now after he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go to Macedonia, concluding that the Lord had called us to preach the gospel to them.
Paul and Silas went to Derbe and Lystra in continuation of their journey to engage the brothers and strengthen the Churches that God had established on their first missionary trip. Paul heard of Timothy’s commitment and invited him to join the missionary team. Timothy had resolved to follow Jesus Christ, no matter what the cost. So now it was the start of a lifelong and life-changing discipleship. Then something happened! God prevented them from preaching in Asia and Bithynia. And in a vision, they were asked to go over to Macedonia. At that point, they realised God had an agenda for them and was calling them to go and preach there. They believed that the sovereign God was leading them and they obeyed.
God has, from the foundation of the world, decreed what would take place in your life. He has equally placed the very events that may take you to a different direction there. Remember that His ways and thoughts are not ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Therefore seek God’s mind and submit to His agenda for you. When you submit to God and His plans, He will lead you to accomplishment. Do you trust God enough to follow Him or would you rather that ‘He follows you?’ Your agenda must always be flexible so as to follow God’s leading. God’s plans are greater than yours.
PRAYER: Father, help me to understand your will and may I follow You.