The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 February 2020 – Live As Children Of God
TOPIC: Live As Children Of God
READ: Ephesians 5:1-14 (NKJV)
- Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.
- And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
- But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;
- neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
- For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
- Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
- Therefore do not be partakers with them.
- For you were once darkness, but now [you are] light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
- (for the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
- finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.
- And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose [them.]
- For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.
- But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.
- Therefore He says: “Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light.”
One sure evidence of salvation is living the new life of Christ. From our text today, the scripture clearly shows the expected lifestyle of believers who have been delivered from the darkness of this world into the kingdom of Light in Christ Jesus our Lord (Colossians 1:13). God is Light in whom there is no darkness at all, and the fruit of that light consists of all goodness, righteousness and truth (verse 9). As children of God, every Christian should produce a fragrant fruit of outstanding moral and ethical character. The Holy Spirit enables the Christian to flee from all forms of evil and purse after righteousness as seen in Jesus’ earthly life. Moreover, the love for God and the sincere desire to obey His word keeps His children from sinful works. Surely, “No one who is born of God will continue to sin …” (1 John 3:9a,NIV).
Unfortunately, these days many profess to be children of God, yet indulge in sinful practices- idolatry, fornication, adultery, cheating, stealing, lying, covetousness, drunkenness, etc. Beloved, examine yourself in light of these for Jesus said “wherefore by their fruits you shall know them. “Not everyone who says unto me Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father…..” (Matthew 7:20 & 21). True children of God strive to be imitators of their Father, living a life of loveand purity and avoiding participating in works of darkness but rather exposing them. (verses 1-3,11). Therefore prove your faith by the way you live.
PRAYER: Lord please help me to live as Your child and bear the fruit of the Spirit daily in Jesus name. Amen