The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 21 October 2020 – God, The Sure Anchor In Times Of Trouble
Topic: God, The Sure Anchor In Times Of Trouble
Read: Psalm 6 (NKJV)
- To the Chief Musician. With stringed instruments. On an eight-stringed harp. A Psalm of David. O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger, Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure.
- Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I [am] weak; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are troubled.
- My soul also is greatly troubled; But You, O LORD — how long?
- Return, O LORD, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!
- For in death [there is] no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks?
- I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears.
- My eye wastes away because of grief; It grows old because of all my enemies.
- Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity; For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping.
- The LORD has heard my supplication; The LORD will receive my prayer.
- Let all my enemies be ashamed and greatly troubled; Let them turn back [and] be ashamed suddenly.
In our reading today, David was buffeted with troubles; his bones and soul were troubled and his bed was flooded with tears and weeping because of grief from his foes. He made God his sure anchor and was delivered; his trust in God was not shaken. Troubles around us are not static, as visitors, they will vanish one day.
God our present help in times of trouble will lift up the burdens. Problems help sharpen us and can turn to our promotion – Joseph became Prime Minister of Egypt from prison. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, yet God delivers him (Psalm 34:19)
What are your troubles? Does it feel like you are burning because of the trials in your office?Keep your faith! Are you persecuted in your family or community because of your faith? Do not throw in the trowel. Never allow life’s challenges – barrenness, delayed promotion, unemployment, delayed marriage, death of loved ones, piled up debts, academic failures, sicknesses, false allegations and family troubles to weigh you down. Weeping may last throughout the night but joy comes in the morning. Don’t give up; your miracle is on the way. Trust in God and make Him your sure anchor, all is well.
PRAYER: God, on my way to the Promised Land, deliver me from excruciating wilderness experiences of this life in Jesus’ name. Amen.