The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 June 2020 – Witness Of The Light
TOPIC: Witness Of The Light
READ: John 1:6-18 (NKJV)
- There was a man sent from God, whose name [was] John.
- This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.
- He was not that Light, but [was sent] to bear witness of that Light.
- That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.
- He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
- He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.
- But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
- who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
- And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
- John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ “
- And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.
- For the law was given through Moses, [but] grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
- No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared [Him.]
In verse 18 of our text, Jesus is said to reveal God to man; He made man to have an idea of the personality of God. This He did by His teaching and life. John the Baptist also introduced Jesus to the Jews – this he did by his preaching and life. Both Jesus and John helped the people out of the darkness of understanding by bringing to them the light of recognition of truth and holiness. This qualified John as a witness of the Light.
Every Christian is meant to be a witness of the Light to the world. Witnessing in this sense is both by preaching and living. Most Christians today labour to show Christ by their lives but ignore preaching. Some others try to preach but without a matching lifestyle. Some others preach and live the life but in a way that presents a distorted nature of Jesus to the people. We need to search ourselves: Are you truly a witness of the Light both in preaching and life?
PRAYER: God, please make me a true witness of the Light, which is Jesus Christ.