The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 24 October 2020 – What Is Man That God Is Mindful Of Him?
Topic: What Is Man That God Is Mindful Of Him?
Read: Psalm 8 (NKJV)
- To the Chief Musician. On the instrument of Gath. A Psalm of David. O LORD, our Lord, How excellent [is] Your name in all the earth, Who have set Your glory above the heavens!
- Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength, Because of Your enemies, That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.
- When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
- What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him?
- For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
- You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all [things] under his feet,
- All sheep and oxen — Even the beasts of the field,
- The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea That pass through the paths of the seas.
- O LORD, our Lord, How excellent [is] Your name in all the earth!
Man, the image of God, was created to be a god, not an animal. “I say, you are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you” (Psalm 82:6). He was created to take dominion, subdue and rule the earth in deep reverence to God, the awesome Creator of all things; the only Being worthy to be worshipped and feared. Fear God and keep His commandments. This is man’s duty under the sun.
God gave man dominion over the works of His hands and put all things under man’s feet. He crowned man with glory and honour. Regardless of all this, man still fell short of God’s glory because of sin (Romans 3:23) Instead of taking dominion, man is dominated; instead of doing exploits, he is exploited; claiming to be wise, man has become a fool, without God’s knowledge.
Let humanity know that man lives by God’s mercy without which he would be consumed. While he pursues vainglory and vanities of this life in rebellion against God, he forgets he is just dust; vapour, and can vanish anytime. Man needs repentance and return to this great God who is mindful of him. In Jesus Christ the Saviour, will man’s dignity be restored. Receive Him now. (John 1:12)
PRAYER: God, help us never to leave the Creator and serve creatures, let Your fear be in us in Jesus’ name. Amen.