The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 25 May 2020 – Learning The Hard Way
TOPIC: Learning The Hard Way
READ: EXODUS 12:23-32 (NKJV)
- “For the LORD will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike [you.]
- “And you shall observe this thing as an ordinance for you and your sons forever.
- “It will come to pass when you come to the land which the LORD will give you, just as He promised, that you shall keep this service.
- “And it shall be, when your children say to you, ‘What do you mean by this service?’
- “that you shall say, ‘It [is] the Passover sacrifice of the LORD, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt when He struck the Egyptians and delivered our households.’ ” So the people bowed their heads and worshiped.
- Then the children of Israel went away and did [so;] just as the LORD had commanded Moses and Aaron, so they did.
- And it came to pass at midnight that the LORD struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who [was] in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of livestock.
- So Pharaoh rose in the night, he, all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt, for [there was] not a house where [there was] not one dead.
- Then he called for Moses and Aaron by night, and said, “Rise, go out from among my people, both you and the children of Israel. And go, serve the LORD as you have said.
- “Also take your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and be gone; and bless me also.”
It is a terrible thing for anyone to learn the hard way. Pharaoh and the Egyptians experienced this. When Moses first asked Pharaoh to let the Israelites go from Egypt, Pharaoh replied that he did not know the Lord and would not oblige (Exodus 5:1-2). It took ten plagues sent by God in Egypt before king Pharaoh finally succumbed to the power of God. The people of Israel had the sign of the blood on their door frames and so were safe (verse 23). God struck the first born of Pharaoh, the Egyptians and their animals at midnight and they all died. There was great wailing and mourning throughout Egypt that night (verse 30). King Pharaoh that night, released the Israelites to go after suffering a powerful death blow in his land. He learnt the hard way!
Beloved, is there anything the Lord has asked you to do but you have not done it? Maybe it concerns your life, family, business or the Church. Delay not but rise to the occasion and obey the Lord. Learn from what happened to Pharaoh. Do not let your disobedience bring trouble to others around you. May God bless you today as you always decide to obey Him.
PRAYER: My heavenly Father, do not allow me to learn the hard way in Jesus name. Amen.