The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 27 May 2020 – Desire Christian Virtues
TOPIC: Desire Christian Virtues
READ: PROVERBS 22:1-15 (NKJV)
- A [good] name is to be chosen rather than great riches, Loving favor rather than silver and gold.
- The rich and the poor have this in common, The LORD [is] the maker of them all.
- A prudent [man] foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.
- By humility [and] the fear of the LORD [Are] riches and honor and life.
- Thorns [and] snares [are] in the way of the perverse; He who guards his soul will be far from them.
- Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
- The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower [is] servant to the lender.
- He who sows iniquity will reap sorrow, And the rod of his anger will fail.
- He who has a generous eye will be blessed, For he gives of his bread to the poor.
- Cast out the scoffer, and contention will leave; Yes, strife and reproach will cease.
- He who loves purity of heart [And has] grace on his lips, The king [will be] his friend.
- The eyes of the LORD preserve knowledge, But He overthrows the words of the faithless.
- The lazy [man] says, “[There is] a lion outside! I shall be slain in the streets!”
- The mouth of an immoral woman [is] a deep pit; He who is abhorred by the LORD will fall there.
- Foolishness [is] bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.
Our text contains many desirable Christian virtues. We shall identify ten of them which are important to a Christian:
(1) A good name is very vital (verse 1a).
(2) To be esteemed is priceless (verse 1b).
(3) A prudent life avoids problems (verse 3a).
(4) Humility and the fear of God lead to lasting prosperity (verse 4).
(5) Train up a child in the fear of God and he will have a good future (verse 6).
(6) Being generous is a prelude to being blessed (verse 9).
(7) Avoid mockers and you will avoid quarrels and insults (verse 10).
(8) Have a pure heart and speak graciously and you will be favoured (verse 11).
(9) Be faithful to God to avoid being frustrated (verse 12).
(10) Discipline a child in love to mould his character (verse 15).
Beloved, do you have these virtues in your life? How is your relationship with your spouse? Your Christian walk with God and your relationship with your neighbours will greatly improve if you imbibe the 10 virtues listed above. May the Holy Spirit bring us to the point of desiring these virtues and possessing them in Jesus name! Show your children that you love them.
PRAYER: O God, cause me to desire these Christian virtues and manifest them in my life in Jesus name. Amen.