The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 27 October 2020 – The Deeds Of The Wicked
Topic: The Deeds Of The Wicked
Read: Psalm 10 (NKJV)
- Why do You stand afar off, O LORD? [Why] do You hide in times of trouble?
- The wicked in [his] pride persecutes the poor; Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised.
- For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire; He blesses the greedy [and] renounces the LORD.
- The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek [God;] God [is] in none of his thoughts.
- His ways are always prospering; Your judgments [are] far above, out of his sight; [As for] all his enemies, he sneers at them.
- He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved; I shall never be in adversity.”
- His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression; Under his tongue [is] trouble and iniquity.
- He sits in the lurking places of the villages; In the secret places he murders the innocent; His eyes are secretly fixed on the helpless.
- He lies in wait secretly, as a lion in his den; He lies in wait to catch the poor; He catches the poor when he draws him into his net.
- So he crouches, he lies low, That the helpless may fall by his strength.
- He has said in his heart, “God has forgotten; He hides His face; He will never see.”
- Arise, O LORD! O God, lift up Your hand! Do not forget the humble.
- Why do the wicked renounce God? He has said in his heart, “You will not require [an account.”]
- But You have seen, for You observe trouble and grief, To repay [it] by Your hand. The helpless commits himself to You; You are the helper of the fatherless.
- Break the arm of the wicked and the evil [man;] Seek out his wickedness [until] You find none.
- The LORD [is] King forever and ever; The nations have perished out of His land.
- LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear,
- To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more.
The wicked are agents of abominable deeds; they operate with dead consciences and are like a troubled sea tossing up mire and dirt. The wicked boasts of achievements, devises evil schemes, is very greedy for gain, curses and renounces the Lord. While he puffs at his foes, his mouth is filled with cursing, deceit, oppression, mischief and iniquity. He is a lover of money; in hidden places, he murders the innocent. He sinks down and crushes the hopeless, and he thinks God will not call him to give account of his life. It is appointed for a man to die once, after this judgment follows (Hebrews 9:27).
Do not envy the wicked, no matter how he prospers. Do not imitate the wicked. If you are a wicked man or woman, repent and be saved. God’s decree is “Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him” (Isaiah 3:11). His so called prosperity simply means his destruction. The evil man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this: That though the wicked sprout like grass and evil doers flourish, they are doomed to destruction forever (Psalm 92:6-7).
God is not interested in the death of a sinner; He wants the wicked to turn away from his sins so that he can live. Come to Jesus and find rest for your soul. Now is the day of salvation.
PRAYER: Help us O God, to live righteously and soberly in this world in Jesus’ name. Amen.