The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 28 May 2020 – Wise Children
TOPIC: Wise Children
READ: Proverbs 23:22-26 (NKJV)
- Listen to your father who begot you, And do not despise your mother when she is old.
- Buy the truth, and do not sell [it,] [Also] wisdom and instruction and understanding.
- The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, And he who begets a wise [child] will delight in him.
- Let your father and your mother be glad, And let her who bore you rejoice.
- My son, give me your heart, And let your eyes observe my ways.
The passage sheds light on what God expects from children as they relate with their parents. It also explains the type of behaviours that children should exhibit in Christian homes. The child should respect his parents by listening to them attentively and on no account despise any of his/her parents (verse 22). The Christian child needs to seek for the truth and uphold it (verse 23a). Every child needs to have the spirit of wisdom, discipline and understanding (verse 23b). Wise sons are a delight of their fathers. A son that lives a righteous life will be a source of great joy to his father (verse 24). Children of very good godly character make their parents glad (verse 25). A child should have a very close relationship with his father in order to know, understand and live like him (verse 26).
God is challenging children and parents to have very good relationships. Parents have a critical role in the upbringing of their children, starting from their early years. Children in turn should respect, obey and behave in ways that will make their parents happy. Children should work hard at school and be very helpful at home. Parents will always delight in their wise children. God delights in His wise children.
PRAYER: May my family be truthful, wise, disciplined and understanding in Jesus name. Amen.