The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 29 September 2020 – Meaning Of Michael
Topic: Meaning Of Michael
Read: Jude 1:8-13 (NKJV)
- Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries.
- Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”
- But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.
- Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.
- These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving [only] themselves. [They are] clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots;
- raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.
Michael means who is like God. The title is given to one of the chief angels (Daniel 10:13, Daniel 10:21) who had special charge of Israel as a nation. He is represented as warring against the old serpent called the devil and Satan which deceives the whole world (Revelation 12:7-9). In verse 9, the archangel Michael was sent to bury Moses’ body, but according to Jewish tradition, the devil argued with the angel about the body, apparently claiming the right to dispose it. But Michael, though powerful and authoritative, did not dare dispute with Satan, so he left the matter in God’s hands, saying, “The Lord rebuke you!” Michael would not dare slander Satan, chief of the fallen angels. He was bidding God’s commandment therefore, he was a messenger of God.
Despite the exalted position of Michael among the angels, he remains a faithful messenger to God. Many Christians today worship, pray to and venerate the angels whereas they are mere messengers of God like us. You are not expected to venerate angels, rather you can only learn their obedience. Some Church members have turned their pastors to idols which they worship; some ministers have taken the position of God in the hearts of their followers and God cannot be happy with such. You are not supposed to worship your pastors but to honour and respect them.
PRAYER: Lord, may I find it pleasing to do Your bidding all the days of my life in Jesus name. Amen.