The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 6 July 2020 – He Served God In His Generation
TOPIC: He Served God In His Generation
READ: ACTS 13:36-43 (NKJV)
- “For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep, was buried with his fathers, and saw corruption;
- “but He whom God raised up saw no corruption.
- “Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins;
- “and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.
- “Beware therefore, lest what has been spoken in the prophets come upon you:
- “Behold, you despisers, Marvel and perish! For I work a work in your days, A work which you will by no means believe, Though one were to declare it to you.’ “
- So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
- Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
There are some statements that I meet on the pages of Scriptures that become “imprinted” in my heart. Here is one: “For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep” (verse 36). Two issues here are lessons to learn.
(1) David served his generation. It seems God has given each one of us something with which to serve our own generation. No man can serve God in a generation other than his own. You can only serve God in your generation; and you serve God by serving your generation. Are you serving your generation? If you are, what are you serving them?
(2) David died after serving his generation. No man is everlasting! David fell asleep (he died). But it is interesting that this was after he had served his generation.
What opportunities are you wasting today? Are you wasting opportunities to do good, to preach the gospel, or to be kind to someone? What talents are you misusing today? Do you realise that you will not be around on earth forever? Even the people God wants you to serve will not be around forever. You have opportunity to do good today: To show love to your parents, friends or neighbours. They will not be around forever either. Serve your generation by doing good now that it is called today.
ACTION: Do some good to someone today.