The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 7 July 2020 – Contradicting The Gospel
TOPIC: Contradicting The Gospel
READ: Acts 13:44-52 (NKJV)
- On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.
- But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul.
- Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles.
- “For so the Lord has commanded us: ‘I have set you as a light to the Gentiles, That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.’ “
- Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.
- And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region.
- But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region.
- But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium.
- And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
It is noteworthy that the next Sabbath, after Paul spoke, almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God, but some Jews, out of envy, started contradicting the things spoken by Paul. They opposed the things he said and began blaspheming. It’s easy to see how what they were doing was inimical to the Gospel; their actions were harming the cause of Christ. This had the potential of turning away would-be disciples, those who probably would have been saved.
While this was regrettable, it is a reminder that some could be involved in this same thing today. The Gospel cannot be contradicted only in words, but can be contradicted by the lifestyle of those who profess Christ. Once our actions do not match the principles of the Gospel, we are, in truth, contradicting the Gospel. It is not uncommon to hear someone complain about a believer by saying “and he says he’s a Christian!” Such statements easily suggest that the person being spoken about is in some way behaving contrary to the spirit of the Gospel and this has the capacity of driving away, or at least, discouraging others who otherwise may have chosen to follow the Lord. If you’re already known as a believer, then it is important you ensure your actions match your profession of faith. Lies, cheating, fornication, quarrelsomeness, irritability, etc., are all capable of contradicting the Gospel. Choose to have nothing to do with such.
PRAYER: May my life, O Lord, not contradict the Gospel.
PRAYER POINTS ON TODAY’S DAILY FOUNTAIN
- Father, thank you for sparing my life and that of my family to see this beautiful day.
- Thank you Lord for the gift of life and sound mind.
- Merciful Father, please have mercy on me in any way I have being contradicting the gospel of Christ, in Jesus name.
- Father, as Christ ambassador, give me grace to represent Him well any where I found myself, in Jesus name
- Father, as for those who are fond of contradicting the gospel out of hatred and envy, please give them a change of heart, but if they fail to change, silence them by Your power, in Jesus name
- Father, help our ministers to practice what they preached. But as for those who are fond of living contrary to their calling and message, please uproot them from the fold of the ministers, in Jesus name
- Father, as many who are heresy preacher’s, silence them and their messages, in Jesus name
- Lord God, let all our thoughts and all our deeds shows that we belong to Thee, in Jesus name
- Father, let my light truly shine and beam to all the world to see, in Jesus name
- Father, let my life encourage others, and not discourage them from coming to Christ, in Jesus name.
- Whether devil like it or not, I will make heaven and receive my Eternal reward in Jesus name.
- This is the day and month the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
- Personal and family requests.
- Confession: God bless the Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion, and bless our country Nigeria. 1Chronicles 17:27
- Thank you Lord for answered prayers, in Jesus’ Mighty name we pray. Amen