The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 8 June 2020 – Below Expectation
TOPIC: Below Expectation
READ: John 14:8-17 (NKJV)
- Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
- Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- “Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own [authority;] but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.
- “Believe Me that I [am] in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
- ” Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater [works] than these he will do, because I go to My Father.
- “And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- “If you ask anything in My name, I will do [it.]
- ” If you love Me, keep My commandments.
- “And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever —
- “the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
Jesus had just assured His disciples of eternal rest in heaven and had shown them Himself as the Way to the Father (verse 2, verse 3, verse 6). Based on the length of time and the depth of teaching the disciples had enjoyed with Christ, He reasonably believed they knew where and how He was going (heaven). However, they did not know. Again, Philip requested Jesus to show them the Father. Jesus was surprised at the request, and said to him: “Have I been so long time with you, and yet have you not known me, Philip…?” (verse 8)
In our walk with God, He expects that after some time with Him, based on His consistent investment into our lives, we should know certain basic spiritual truths and also some foundational revelation of His person. But sometimes, we fall below His expectations. Jesus had been with His disciples for about three whole years of consistent teaching, yet they did not know Him. We need to always ask God to reveal Himself to us; that way, we will follow Him meaningfully.
PRAYER: Help me to know You more, Oh Lord.