The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 10 December 2023 – Still Waiting For More Witnesses?
TOPIC: Still Waiting For More Witnesses?
READ: John 5:36-47 (NKJV)
- “But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish — the very works that I do — bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.
- “And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
- “But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
- “You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
- “But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
- “I do not receive honor from men.
- “But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you.
- “I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
- “How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that [comes] from the only God?
- “Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is [one] who accuses you — Moses, in whom you trust.
- “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.
- “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”
Jesus continues the discourse on His deity and relationship with the Father by presenting three witnesses. First is the witness of John the Baptist – a credible witness sent by God to point to Jesus as the True Light, the Lamb of God and the Messiah. Next is the witness of Jesus about Himself, evidenced by the works He did among the people.
The third witness is that of God the Father in the Old Testament Scriptures that reveals and speaks concerning His Son. In spite of all these, they rejected all the witnesses about Christ and refused to believe in Him – all because they were spiritually blind due to their personal grudges against Christ.
Today, we have many more witnesses that testify about Christ than at that time. His birth, death and resurrection all of which took place as foretold by the prophets and Jesus Himself, are witnesses to His being the Son of God and the Saviour. Have you believed and received Him as the Son of God who takes away the sins of the world? Or are you being deliberately blind and waiting for more witnesses? Remember, no other witnesses shall be given.
Your duty is to believe Him and bring the testimony of Jesus Christ to others so that they may believe in Him and be saved while looking to His return.
PRAYER: Heavenly Father, forgive my unbelief and enable me believe in Your Son Jesus Christ, Amen.