The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 14 June 2021 – What It Means To Be Born Again
TOPIC: What It Means To Be Born Again (Anglican Devotional 14 June 2021)
READ: JOHN 3:7-13(NKJV)
- “Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
- “The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
- Nicodemus answered and said to Him, “How can these things be?”
- Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things?
- “Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness.
- “If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?
- “No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, [that is,] the Son of Man who is in heaven.
Jesus had been explaining to Nicodemus what it would take to be a part of the Kingdom of God. The main requirement was to become born again. Jesus had further explained that being born again means one being born of water and the Spirit, that is, being baptised of water and the Holy Spirit. He must have been wondering what Jesus was talking about just as many still wonder today about salvation. It is a simple and yet profound event in every believer’s life. Paul talks about believing with your heart and confessing with your lips (Romans 10:9-10).
No matter what status we have attained in society, like Nicodemus, we must first of all believe that Jesus came to save us from sins and accept His lordship over our lives. The mystery of being born again is like the wind, we cannot see it but we know and believe that it exists, so also the Holy Spirit will confirm in our hearts that we are children of God. It is important for Christians to understand what it means to be born again, so that we will not be like Nicodemus who was a Teacher in Israel and yet did not understand spiritual things.
PRAYER: Lord help me to lay aside everything else that I am or have in order to learn at Your feet. Amen.