The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 14 September 2021 – If I Am Lifted Up
TOPIC: If I Am Lifted Up
READ: John 12:31-36 (NKJV)
- Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
- And I, (B)if I am [a]lifted up from the earth, will draw (C)all peoples to Myself.”
- (D)This He said, signifying by what death He would die.
- The people answered Him, (E)“We have heard from the law that the Christ remains forever; and how can You say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this Son of Man?”
- Then Jesus said to them, “A little while longer (F)the light is with you. (G)Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; (H)he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going.
- While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become (I)sons of light.” These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and (J)was hidden from them.
In today’s reading, Jesus told the Jews “And I, when I am Lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself” (John 12:32). The kind of death He was to die is revealed in this statement. The cross in the New Testament was a Symbol of shame and humiliation. Rome used it as an instrument of torture and execution, reserved for the worst and the lowest. This was the death Jesus died. He endured the cross, despising the shame “even death on a cross”(Philippians 2:8).
Theologically, the word “cross” stands for the Gospel of salvation; Jesus died for our sins and resurrected. The preaching of salvation; the Gospel is the word of the cross – the preaching of Christ crucified! The word of the cross is also the word of reconciliation. It is by the blood of His cross that God made peace. We must carry our own cross daily to follow Christ, well-prepared to despise any shame, endure hardship and suffering of any kind and still persevere to the end!
Jesus is the light and for us to walk in the light, like Paul, we must be crucified with Him, so that Christ lives in us. Then shall we be lifted up with Him in the rapture of the saints (1 Thessalonians 4:17).
PRAYER: Dear Lord, help me to live a crucified life with Jesus so that I will be lifted up with You in Jesus’ Name. Amen.