The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 July 2022 – Divine Principle For A Happy Home (II)
TOPIC: Divine Principle For A Happy Home (II)
READ: Ephesians 5:25-33 (NKJV)
- Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
- that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
- that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.
- So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself.
- For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord [does] the church.
- For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones.
- “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”
- This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
- Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife [see] that she respects [her] husband.
Yesterday we started looking at God’s expectation for a Christian home. We saw from the Scripture what Christian couples are expected to do in order to experience God’s presence and peace. Our passage today reveals the mandate of God to man in fulfilling eternal purpose in marriage. Husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for her (verse 25). This simply shows the extent to which a man is expected to love his own wife.
You will discover that the Bible requires that a man should love his wife to the point of death. This kind of agape love leaves no room for divorce or infidelity. It closes the door against any form of satanic suggestion that can break or destroy any Christian marriage. Every Christian man in marriage is expected to follow the love pattern of Jesus Christ for the Church. Jesus Christ emptied Himself, took the form of a servant, humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death on the cross, all for the sake of the Church (Philippians 2:6-8). What a perfect love! The Bible does not leave us in doubt as to how men should express genuine love to their wives. Christian husbands should endeavour to pray for more understanding of God’s mandate in their homes.
When a man loves his wife as Christ loved His Church and gave Himself up for her, the wife is bound to reciprocate with total submission as commanded by God. Inability to abide by the word of God is the cause of all the problems associated with marriage. As a Christian husband, your wife is a gift from God and must be cherished and appreciated at all times. She is not a necessary evil, learn to love her unconditionally.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, give me the grace to run my home according to Y our principles, in Jesus’ name. Amen.