The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 May 2021 – Obedience To God’s Word
TOPIC: Obedience To God’s Word (Anglican Devotional 15 May 2021)
READ: Deuteronomy 4:1-14 (NKJV)
- “Now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the judgments which I teach you to observe, that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers is giving you.
- “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
- “Your eyes have seen what the LORD did at Baal Peor; for the LORD your God has destroyed from among you all the men who followed Baal of Peor.
- “But you who held fast to the LORD your God [are] alive today, every one of you.
- “Surely I have taught you statutes and judgments, just as the LORD my God commanded me, that you should act according [to them] in the land which you go to possess.
- “Therefore be careful to observe [them;] for this [is] your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes, and say, ‘Surely this great nation [is] a wise and understanding people.’
- “For what great nation [is there] that has God [so] near to it, as the LORD our God [is] to us, for whatever [reason] we may call upon Him?
- “And what great nation [is there] that has [such] statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law which I set before you this day?
- ” Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren,
- “[especially concerning] the day you stood before the LORD your God in Horeb, when the LORD said to me, ‘Gather the people to Me, and I will let them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and [that] they may teach their children.’
- “Then you came near and stood at the foot of the mountain, and the mountain burned with fire to the midst of heaven, with darkness, cloud, and thick darkness.
- “And the LORD spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of the words, but saw no form; [you] only [heard] a voice.
- “So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.
- “And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that you might observe them in the land which you cross over to possess.
Obedience to God’s word is an issue in the service of God. It was a big problem in the time of Moses and it is even more today in the Church of God. It has become a reoccurring decimal to note that in our present day society, many theologians, ministers and Christians teach the word of God with much oratory and knowledge while their lives are the opposite of what they preach. Ezra. 7:10 shows that “he devoted¹ himself to the study ² observance of the law of the Lord³, and to teaching in Israel.⁴” Anything short of these four steps will be tantamount to disobedience to the Lord. It also creates a hindrance to some people who would have repented when they see our lives in apposition to what we preach.
Verse 1 of our text says, Hear now oh Israel, follow them so that you may live, watch yourselves closely (be exemplary), then teach same to your children (verse 9) and their children after them. This is a clarion call to give attention to the teaching of our Lord (through diligent study of His word and listening to sound biblical teachings). We also need to observe or practise what we hear or understand from studying His word so as to appropriate His blessings in our lives. This will help us to teach others well and create the desired impact in their lives to the glory of God.
PRAYER: Lord, make us doers of Your word and not hearers only.