The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 April 2021 – The Great Claims Of Jesus
TOPIC: The Great Claims Of Jesus (Anglican Devotional 18 April 2021)
READ: John 10:7-16 (NKJV)
- Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
- “All who [ever] came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
- “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
- “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have [it] more abundantly.
- “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
- “But a hireling, [he who is] not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.
- “The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.
- “I am the good shepherd; and I know My [sheep,] and am known by My own.
- “As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
- “And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock [and] one shepherd.
In our text, Jesus makes specific claims which require a closer look. He claims to be the only gate to salvation and is correct because salvation is found only in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12). He claims to give abundant life (verse 10b) because Christ is the Only source of life (1 John 5:12). Christ is the Good Shepherd (verse 11) because He died for man (Romans 5:8). He knows His sheep (verse 14) This is correct because anyone who loves God is known by Him (1 Corinthians 8:13). Christ also declared that He has other sheep that He needs to bring under His control because salvation is also for Gentiles (Acts 28:28).
Since the claims of Jesus are true, we need to take His word seriously. Being the only gate to the sheep pen, we need to go through Jesus to enter into Heaven for our salvation. Christ as the Good Shepherd, laid down His life for you. What have you done for Him? Good shepherds know their sheep. Does Christ know you as His sheep?
PRAYER: Father, I want Christ to come into my life and make me one of His sheep in Jesus’ Name. Amen.