The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 19 July 2021 – It Is God Who Works In You
Topic: It Is God Who Works In You
Read: Philippians 2:12-18 (NKJV)
- Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
- for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for [His] good pleasure.
- Do all things without complaining and disputing,
- that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
- holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
- Yes, and if I am being poured out [as a drink offering] on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all.
- For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.
Christians are those who have been bought by the blood of the Lamb, and have been brought into the family of God. However, to stay within that family and ultimately enjoy the eternal bliss of God, we must work out our salvation with fear and trembling. That is, we must run the race, not as one beating the air but with precision and understanding of where we are heading to and determination to win the prize ahead of us. We must avoid all that could hinder us (Hebrews 12:1&2), and run, not in our ability but in God’s; because He is the one who can work out in us what He wants (verse 13). Running in God’s ability has to do with our yielding to Him without complaining and disputing, holding fast the word of life.
The Christian journey can be very challenging sometimes, and running the race can be a heavy task, most especially, when we look away from the rock of our salvation and focus elsewhere for strength. Following certain stringent rules and regulations can become burdensome and deprive us of the joy and peace that characterise the Christian pilgrimage (Acts 15:10-11). God’s commandments are not burdensome if we let Him do His work in us. So, are you weary and weak? Are you tired already because of the hardship you face for the sake of your faith? Note that the power for the journey is not in ourselves; it is in God who alone can strengthen us. All we need to do is to trust and obey Him.
PRAYER: Dear Father, by Your grace, enable me to yield to You in all things, in Jesus ‘Name. Amen.