The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 21 September 2022 – Sons And Heirs Of God
TOPIC: Sons And Heirs Of God
READ: Galatians 4:1-6 (NKJV)
- Now I say [that] the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave, though he is master of all,
- but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father.
- Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.
- But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
- to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
- And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”
In today’s lesson, Paul made it explicit that when the Galatians and indeed all men were helpless children, they were under the servitude of the law. When they believed in Jesus Christ, they became sons and heirs of God. Jesus, the bondage breaker redeemed us from the shackles of the law and its slavery. Christ has come and He has set us free; we must not submit again to a yoke of slavery (Galatians 5:1) When a lost, helpless, poverty-stricken, debt-laden sinner repents and believes in Jesus Christ, such a one is washed in the Blood of Jesus, forgiven and adopted into God’s family.
What an amazing grace? “And if children then heirs, heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ…” (Romans 8:17). Knowing this, we must think more of the things in heaven, meditate more on the realities of things in the city of God, the new Jerusalem, delivered from the lust of mundane things and separated from the most miserable people whose hope is on earthly things. As sons and heirs of God, God is our possession, our inheritance, our righteousness and our deliverance.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, please keep us by Your power, enable us to finish this race strongly to receive our eternal reward in Jesus’ name. Amen.