The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 22 September 2022 – Never Join The Multitude In Committing Evil
TOPIC: Never Join The Multitude In Committing Evil
READ: Exodus 23:1-9 (NKJV)
- “You shall not circulate a false report. Do not put your hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.
- “You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert [justice.]
- “You shall not show partiality to a poor man in his dispute.
- ” If you meet your enemy’s ox or his donkey going astray, you shall surely bring it back to him again.
- “If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying under its burden, and you would refrain from helping it, you shall surely help him with it.
- ” You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor in his dispute.
- “Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked.
- “And you shall take no bribe, for a bribe blinds the discerning and perverts the words of the righteous.
- “Also you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the heart of a stranger, because you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
The deeds of a mixed multitude end in death and hell. Christians must not approve whatever the multitude approves but must depart from every iniquity. God’s word in the Bible is His standard for holiness and righteousness. If we must move with God, we must agree with His words and replicate the same in action. In our society today, in family disputes, community disputes, marriage crises, political wars, leadership tussles, etc., we must agree with Prophet Isaiah that. “No one enters suit justly, no one goes to law honestly, they rely on empty pleas, they speak lies…” (Isaiah 59:4).
Therefore, justice is turned back. This is the situation of our nation. What do we do? Our text today has the answer – the antidote! Never utter false reports, resist being a malicious witness, bluntly refuse following a multitude to do evil or pervert justice of the poor, reject partiality, keep far from a false charge and be merciful to help lift people’s burdens. Say no to bribery for a bribe blinds the officials and subverts the cause of those who are in the right. This is the truth and God’s standard!
PRAYER: God help us not to walk in the way that seems good unto men but ends in disaster in Jesus’ name. Amen.