The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 24 January 2021 – Break The Barriers
Topic: Break The Barriers
Read: Matthew 8: 1 – 8 (NKJV)
- When He had come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed Him.
- And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.”
- Then Jesus put out [His] hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
- And Jesus said to him, “See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
- Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him,
- saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented.”
- And Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”
- The centurion answered and said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed.
God is not far from you, you are the one moving away from Him. The truth is that you will always find God when you seek Him with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13). A common thing between the leper and the centurion is their strong determination to get spiritual intervention in their needs: They defied every obstacle to reach to Jesus! The man with leprosy came with boldness and humility. He was not put off by the crowds, despite the fact that he could be ridiculed because of the nature of his sickness. The centurion did not allow pride, influence or power to hinder him meeting Jesus. He was equally humble in his approach. Again, from the story, we see that Christ’s spiritual authority is higher than physical powers. A centurion was a career military officer in the Roman army with control over 100 soldiers. Despite his position, he was humble before Jesus.
What is keeping you away from God: Your economic, educational or political power? These things are worthless if you do not use them to serve Him. Don’t allow the crowd or your personal position to stop you from knowing Christ. If you are not in Christ, you will lose all, including eternity! Just as leprosy separated the man from his people, so sin separates us from God. Meet Jesus today in humility, He will clean you and make you a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17).
PRAYER: All to You oh Lord I surrender: Make me, clean me and use me to Your own glory.