The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 25 September 2023 – God’s Promised Restoration Of His People
TOPIC: God’s Promised Restoration Of His People
READ: Hosea 2:14-23 (NKJV)
- ” Therefore, behold, I will allure her, Will bring her into the wilderness, And speak comfort to her.
- I will give her her vineyards from there, And the Valley of Achor as a door of hope; She shall sing there, As in the days of her youth, As in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt.
- “And it shall be, in that day,” Says the LORD, “[That] you will call Me ‘My Husband,’ And no longer call Me ‘My Master,’
- For I will take from her mouth the names of the Baals, And they shall be remembered by their name no more.
- In that day I will make a covenant for them With the beasts of the field, With the birds of the air, And [with] the creeping things of the ground. Bow and sword of battle I will shatter from the earth, To make them lie down safely.
- “I will betroth you to Me forever; Yes, I will betroth you to Me In righteousness and justice, In lovingkindness and mercy;
- I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness, And you shall know the LORD.
2:21. ” It shall come to pass in that day [That] I will answer,” says the LORD; “I will answer the heavens, And they shall answer the earth.
- The earth shall answer With grain, With new wine, And with oil; They shall answer Jezreel.
- Then I will sow her for Myself in the earth, And I will have mercy on [her who had] not obtained mercy; Then I will say to [those who were] not My people, ‘You [are] My people!’ And they shall say, ‘[You are] my God!’ “
Just as it happened with the children of Israel in the past, many children of God today have veered off course into idol worship. Some have in the pursuit of power, fame and wealth, deviated from the faith while others have mortgaged their conscience to secure jobs, get promoted or pass courses at all costs. This was the case of God’s own elect – Israel – as we read in our passage today. However, God in His infinite mercy promised to bring her into the wilderness, and to speak comfortably unto her. God also promised them a change of name (verses 16 & 17) and a covenant of safety in the latter part (verse 18).
Today, the lovingkindness and mercies of God are available to as many that have wandered far away from God into sinful lifestyle, idolatrous worship, and syncretism at the expense of their souls. Beloved, God’s love is unfathomable; His mercies are inexplicable and His grace is available if you can turn to Him today with a penitent heart. He promised to betroth you to Himself forever in faithfulness (verses 19 & 20) and to have mercy upon His own (verse 23). It does not matter your background, gender or religious affiliation, His promise is to all who will yield unto Him with all sincerity of heart. For He promised, “I will say to them which were not my people, thou art my people; and they shall say, thou art my God.” Come and be blessed.
PRAYER: Lord, You are my God; Restore me back to Your love and Grace as You have promised. Amen.