The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 29 March 2021 – Fragrance Through Brokenness
TOPIC: Fragrance Through Brokenness (Anglican Devotional 29 March 2021)
READ: Mark 14:1-11 (NKJV)
- After two days it was the Passover and [the Feast] of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might take Him by trickery and put [Him] to death.
- But they said, “Not during the feast, lest there be an uproar of the people.”
- And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured [it] on His head.
- But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted?
- “For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply.
- But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me.
- “For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always.
- “She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial.
- “Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”
- Then Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Him to them.
- And when they heard [it,] they were glad, and promised to give him money. So he sought how he might conveniently betray Him.
As the time drew near for the death of Jesus on the cross, and being in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came to Jesus. She had an alabaster box of a very precious ointment. She broke the box and poured it on the head of Jesus and the aroma spread in the room. Some people in the room were angry because of the huge cost of the ointment she poured on Jesus. “And Jesus said, let her alone, she has wrought a good work on me “(verse 5).
There is a degree of fragrance of the life of Christ in us that others may not perceive until we break the alabaster box of whatever is valued much in our lives. Brokenness is a spiritual experience that delivers a believer from struggling with the will of God in any aspect of his/her life. The more broken a believer is, the more the fragrance from the life is perceived. Surrender all to Jesus today.
PRAYER: Lord, I break all my alabaster oil and pour it for Your use today in. Jesus ‘Name. Amen.