The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 29 May 2021 – A New Commandment
TOPIC: A New Commandment (Anglican Devotional 29 May 2021)
READ: John 13:31-35 (NKJV)
- So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him.
- “If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately.
- “Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you.
- “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
- “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
At the time when Jesus was about to accomplish His mission on earth. He discussed with His disciples what was about to take place. In verse 31, Judas the betrayer had left, and was not part of the discussion which was a spiritual one. A carnal mind is enmity against God. (Romans 8:7). Don’t run away from God’s presence. It is very dangerous. Secondly, Christ talked about how God would be glorified in Him and how He Himself would be glorified in God. By this He meant how He would glorify God in His death on the cross and how God would glorify Him in His resurrection.
In verse 34, Jesus gave His disciples a new commandment: That you love one another as I have loved you.” This is beyond the Old Testament commandment to love your neighbour as yourself. It is sacrificial, like the love Christ expressed for sinners by laying down His life for their salvation. It is also a proof that one is a disciple of Christ. The new commandment is action-oriented, for instance: Helping others when it is not convenient and absorbing hurts from others without complaining or fighting. You can give more examples. Start today to love in word and deed.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, arouse this love in our lives so we can prove that we are Your disciples.