The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 30 July 2021 – Be A Peace Maker
Topic: Be A Peace Maker
Read: Philippians 4:1-9 (NKJV)
- Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.
- I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.
- And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names [are] in the Book of Life.
- Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
- Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
- and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things [are] noble, whatever things [are] just, whatever things [are] pure, whatever things [are] lovely, whatever things [are] of good report, if [there is] any virtue and if [there is] anything praiseworthy — meditate on these things.
- The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
At the close of his letter to the Philippians, Paul addressed a crucial issue relating to the unity and sweet fellowship in the body of Christ just as Jesus Christ at the end of His earthly ministry prayed for unity among His disciples (John 17). Paul knew about the dispute between the two women, Euodias and Syntyche, who were among his companions. He knew their usefulness in the furtherance of the Gospel and therefore entreated the disciple whom he called true yokefellow and a fellow labourer, to ensure that these two women agreed in the Lord.
God in His love has established His Church through His Son, Jesus Christ, to reconcile the rebellious world to Himself. As Christians, we are to bring the world into the knowledge of the love of God which is offered in Christ Jesus. If the Church that was purchased with the blood of Jesus through the love of God and commissioned to propagate the message of love is in disunity, it becomes difficult for her to fulfill her God-given mission. As a yokefellow with Christ Jesus, you must not be a cause of disunity in the body of Christ. Your life must be one that preaches the message of love of Christ both in the Church and most importantly, to those Who are yet to come to the knowledge of His saving grace. Jesus says, “blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God” (Matthew 5:9). Pray for God’s enabling grace to be used as a peacemaker where there is conflict in His Church, so that we can work together and fulfill the Great Commission.
PRAYER: Lord God of love, I pray that my life will henceforth reflect Your love, both in the Church and to the people around me in Jesus name. Amen.