The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 5 May 2021 – Conquering The Giants
TOPIC: Conquering The Giants (Anglican Devotional 5 May 2021)
READ: Deuteronomy 1:19-33 (NKJV)
- ” So we departed from Horeb, and went through all that great and terrible wilderness which you saw on the way to the mountains of the Amorites, as the LORD our God had commanded us. Then we came to Kadesh Barnea.
- “And I said to you, ‘You have come to the mountains of the Amorites, which the LORD our God is giving us.
- ‘Look, the LORD your God has set the land before you; go up [and] possess [it,] as the LORD God of your fathers has spoken to you; do not fear or be discouraged.’
- “And everyone of you came near to me and said, ‘Let us send men before us, and let them search out the land for us, and bring back word to us of the way by which we should go up, and of the cities into which we shall come.’
- “The plan pleased me well; so I took twelve of your men, one man from [each] tribe.
- “And they departed and went up into the mountains, and came to the Valley of Eshcol, and spied it out.
- “They also took [some] of the fruit of the land in their hands and brought [it] down to us; and they brought back word to us, saying, ‘[It is] a good land which the LORD our God is giving us.’
- ” Nevertheless you would not go up, but rebelled against the command of the LORD your God;
- “and you complained in your tents, and said, ‘Because the LORD hates us, He has brought us out of the land of Egypt to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us.
- ‘Where can we go up? Our brethren have discouraged our hearts, saying, “The people [are] greater and taller than we; the cities [are] great and fortified up to heaven; moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakim there.” ‘
- “Then I said to you, ‘Do not be terrified, or afraid of them.
- ‘The LORD your God, who goes before you, He will fight for you, according to all He did for you in Egypt before your eyes,
- ‘and in the wilderness where you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a man carries his son, in all the way that you went until you came to this place.’
- “Yet, for all that, you did not believe the LORD your God,
- “who went in the way before you to search out a place for you to pitch your tents, to show you the way you should go, in the fire by night and in the cloud by day.
The Bible contains promises of healing, fruitfulness, freedom, protection, success and prosperity. We often receive these promises with joy like the Israelites (verses 22-23). Unfortunately, we sometimes find ourselves confronted with contrary situations like sickness, threats, failures, bareness. etc. This depicts the situation in verse 28 when the Israelites received God’s promises with joy, sent people to spy the good land and were intimidated by the giants – the sons of Anak. Their hearts melted with unbelief in God’s promises (verse 32)
The Bible enjoins us not to fear situations that seem bigger than us. Testimonies abound of multiple births after prolonged years of barenness, huge debts paid, high profile jobs got after years of unemployment, healing after being abandoned by doctors, etc. I remember when we lost our only child and it seemed as if the world would end. To the glory of God, He gave us five children afterwards. All the Israelites faced wilderness experiences and knew about the giants. Those that disbelieved God perished while Joshua and Caleb who believed survived. God goes before us and will always fight for us as He did in Egypt. Remember how He gave you testimonies of deliverances in your past wilderness experiences (verse 31). Anchor your faith on His promise and you will surely conquer the giants in Jesus name surely
PRAYER: Oh God help me to overcome all giants in my heavenly race by faith on my knees in Jesus’ Name. Amen.