The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 7 June 2019 – A Call For God’s Mercy
TOPIC: A Call For God’s Mercy
READ: Psalms 6:1-10 King James Version (KJV)
- O Lord , do not rebuke me in Your anger, Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure.
- Have mercy on me, O Lord , for I am weak; O Lord , heal me, for my bones are troubled.
- My soul also is greatly troubled; But You, O Lord —how long?
- Return, O Lord , deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!
- For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks?
- I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears.
- My eye wastes away because of grief; It grows old because of all my enemies.
- Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity; For the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.
- The Lord has heard my supplication; The Lord will receive my prayer.
- Let all my enemies be ashamed and greatly troubled; Let them turn back and be ashamed suddenly.
This is David’s prayer of penitence. It can be linked to David’s confession when Nathan the prophet convicted him of adultery with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11). Have mercy upon me is the cry (Psalm 6:2; 51:1). In his state of moral agony, David wept until his bed was soaked with his tears (verse 6). From verses 2 to 6 and in the whole of Psalm 51, you see deep godly sorrow in David. And from verse 8, you see joy (for answered prayer) returning to David, The Lord has heard my supplication, let all my enemies be ashamed. 1John 1:9 encourages you to confess your sins (and forsake them) because God is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse you from them all.
All sins are grievous in the sight of God but note the warning in 1 Corinthians 6:18 concerning sexual immorality. In the case of David, this sin affected all facets of his life. It led to broken bones (Psalm 51:8); a soiled heart (Psalm 51:1), a withdrawal of the Lord’s presence (Psalm 51:11) and a loss of fellowship with the Holy Spirit and a lot more. With the ravaging consequences of sexual immorality evident in broken homes, and life-threatening sexually transmitted diseases, God’s people should flee every appearance of sin.
PRAYER: Have mercy on me oh Lord and cleanse me from sin.