The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 19 June 2019 – The Character of Heaven-Minded Person
TOPIC: The Character of Heaven- Minded Person
READ: Psalm 15:1-7 King James Version (KJV)
- Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
- He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
- He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
- In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
- He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.
Galatians 5: 16-21 contrasts the end of a person who walks in the spirit and the one who walks after the f1esh. The latter will not inherit the kingdom of God (v.21 b). Today’s text stipulates the character of a person who is qualified to dwell in the presence of God. The psalmist classifies it into two:
The “Dos” and the “Don’ts.”
The “Do’s for a person who is qualified to dwell in the presence of God are:
1 Must walk uprightly and work righteously
2 Must despise those who do wickedly while honouring those who fear God
3 Though it may be to his hurt, must be committed to doing that which is right and fair (verses 2, 4).
The Don’ts are:
1 Must not backbite someone in order to destroy his reputation
2 Must not make false or malicious statement spoken or written to injure a person’s character
3 Must not lend at exploitative rates to the poor nor take bribe (v.3,5)
The tabernacle of God (v. 1) is today dwelling with people in whom there is the Spirit of God (see Revelation 21: 3, and I Corinthians 3: 16) – those who obey the Do’s and Don’ts listed above.
PRAYER: Thank God you are His tabernacle in which His Spirit dwells. Ask for Grace that you don’t defile that temple.