Topic: His Jewels [Open Heavens for Teens 27 April 2019]
Memorise: “For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.” – 1 Peter 2:19
Read: Malachi 3:14-18
- Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts?
- And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
- Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
- And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
- Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.
Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 17-18, Luke 21:1-19
Today’s Bible reading reveals benefits from serving the Lord. In the passage, some Israelites served God faithfully for a period while some looked at their lives to see if there was a benefit of their service. When they thought they could not see any benefit, they decided that it was vanity to serve God. The problem here is, that they decided to check if there was any benefit in serving God meant they had the impression that there was no benefit in serving God. Such people never really serve God with all their heart because they have a divided mind.
When you look at the blessings of some of the children of God, it would seem like God is being partial. Their level of service is usually the reason. Anyone that will get great rewards from God must be willing to spend and be spent for Him. He said if you are not ready to leave all your treasures for Him (Luke 18:18-24), then you are not yet ready. Having stated that, there is no one that doesn’t enjoy God’s benefits, but we don’t recognise it because we are focused on other things. Read my testimony in August 6 of this devotional to see God’s response to me the day I also thought He had not really done anything for me.
Key Point: Work on your level of service today.
1. I am Thine 0 Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.
Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.
2. Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow’r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.
3. Oh, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
I commune as friend with friend!
4. There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.