The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 20 April 2019 – Don’t Lose Heart
TOPIC: Don’t Lose Heart
READ: 2 Corinthians 4:16; 5:1-8 King James Version (KJV)
4:16. Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
5:1. For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven,
3. if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked.
4. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.
5. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
6. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.
8. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
In today’s text, Paul draws our attention to the common struggle we all have with our outer man (our earthly bodies). Like tents, they are flimsy, insecure temporary living quarters – being destroyed, corrupted and ruined every day. Every one: saved or lost, will waste away and die. We suffer physical, emotional, verbal hurts and pains, which make us prone to lose heart as our outer man is being destroyed. But Paul says he has found the secret to staying focused in the Lord and never losing heart, giving up, giving in or giving out! His goal is to be home with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:1,8) in a building made by God, an eternal house in heaven. He therefore refused to be distracted from the purpose of God for his life. Like Jesus did on the Cross of Calvary, he committed to fulfilling that purpose.
Friend, what is God’s purpose for your life? Are you committed to fulfilling it? Are you on the verge of quitting because of the struggles with your outer man? Remember, you will stumble and may fall.
You will be discouraged especially by the terrorism, persecution, unemployment, nepotism, godlessness, etc., which confront us on every side. But do not lose heart. Do not be distracted. Do not quit! Remember, this life and body is temporary!
Prayer: Lord, give me grace to focus on the glorious certainty of my future so that I may not lose heart in difficult times.