Topic: Handling Negative Thoughts [Open Heavens for Teens 28 June 2020]
Memorise: “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” – Philippians 4:8
Bible Reading: Philippians 4:6-8
- Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
- And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Bible Reading In One Year: Job 13-15; Acts 8:26-40
Believers are expected to keep good records of all good deeds done to them by others. This is because it will help you think the best concerning them, especially when they harm you or exhibit a contrary behaviour towards you. You see, as a child of God, you should never have ill-thoughts towards anyone, even if they have truly offended you. Consciously recording peoples good deeds will make this easier, so that on days when they offend you, rather than think of the bad thing they have done, you will think of the good things they earlier did.
The Bible says the biggest command for us Christians is to live in love. You can’t act out love if your heart is thinking differently. Even if you do, then your actions are not genuine and will be null and void. You own your heart, you control what goes on in it. Negative thoughts won’t be in your mind if you don’t put them there or permit them to grow.
Cultivate the habit of replacing negative thoughts with positive ones.
Hymn: Take My Life, And Let It Be
- Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
- Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
- Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only for my King;
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.
- Take my silver and my gold
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
- Take my will and make it
Thine It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own
It shall be Thy royal throne.
- Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.