The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 10 January 2020 – God Is Watching
TOPIC: God Is Watching
READ: Psalm 139 (NKJV)
- For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. O LORD, You have searched me and known [me.]
- You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off.
- You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways.
- For [there is] not a word on my tongue, [But] behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.
- You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me.
- [Such] knowledge [is] too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot [attain] it.
- Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
- If I ascend into heaven, You [are] there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You [are there.]
- [If] I take the wings of the morning, [And] dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
- Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.
- If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,” Even the night shall be light about me;
- Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light [are] both alike [to You.]
- For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.
- I will praise You, for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And [that] my soul knows very well.
- My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, [And] skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When [as yet there were] none of them.
- How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!
- [If] I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You.
- Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God! Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
- For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take [Your name] in vain.
- Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
- I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.
- Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties;
- And see if [there is any] wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.
Any person who wants to live a fulfilled Christian life must take today’s passage seriously. Today, some people are bringing shame to the gospel. So many Christians are engaging in evil and demonic practices just to gain influence, positions and possessions. Their only concern is to ensure that people do not see what they do in secret. Our text shows that God is all-knowing. He knows our thoughts and what we do in secret. He is present everywhere, even in dark places where evil is committed. To those who live righteously, there are great benefits because no matter where they are, the eye of the Lord is upon them for good and to guide and guard them. The Psalmist in verse 23 asked God to search for his sin and point it out. He even asked for his thoughts to be tested. Can we do same?
The word of God is like a mirror that gives to everyone the true reflection of his/her own face. Where do you belong? What type of secret engagements and sinful acts do you do in the secret? God is watching. The good news to the righteous this year is that it shall be well with them. (Isaiah 3:10). The eyes of the Lord will be on them to protect and guard them. A sinner who fails to repent will have no hiding place. The evil doers are under divine watch and they will likely be exposed. Follow the pathway of honour – be on the Lord’s side. He is watching your steps.
PRAYER: Heavenly Father, let what I do in the secret and open be things that bring glory to You.