The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 13 October 2019 – Joy Unspeakable!
TOPIC: Joy Unspeakable!
READ: 2 Corinthians 5:1-7 King James Version (KJV)
- For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
- For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven,
- if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked.
- For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.
- Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
- So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
- For we walk by faith, not by sight.
If there is anything that should be comforting to believers, it is the fact that this world is not our home. Paul, in today’s reading wrote to the Corinthian believers, that their present existence on earth is a life of groaning. This might not be unconnected with the fact of the painful experiences they were daily going through.
Globally today, things have not changed although it seems to be worse in developing countries than among the developed societies. Unprovoked killings, especially of believers, a business environment that is not friendly for believers and even the Church that is supposed to be a place of refuge, has in fact become slaughter slab where godliness and righteousness are mortgaged. All these, no doubt, is enough to weary any believer with a right standing with God. We however have an assurance that we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens desiring to be clothed with our house which is in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:1,2). This assurance of a blissful future is however not for all but for those who have been redeemed by the Lord Jesus (John1:11,12). Are you in the number? To be part of this team, confess your sins today, repent of them and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour.
Thought: Are you in the number saved by grace?
PRAYER: Heavenly Father, please save my soul and keep me saved till the end.