The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 13 October 2020 – The Injustice In Our Time
Topic: The Injustice In Our Time
Read: Ecclesiastes 10:1-10 (NKJV)
- Dead flies putrefy the perfumer’s ointment, And cause it to give off a foul odor; [So does] a little folly to one respected for wisdom [and] honor.
- A wise man’s heart [is] at his right hand, But a fool’s heart at his left.
- Even when a fool walks along the way, He lacks wisdom, And he shows everyone [that] he [is] a fool.
- If the spirit of the ruler rises against you, Do not leave your post; For conciliation pacifies great offenses.
- There is an evil I have seen under the sun, As an error proceeding from the ruler:
- Folly is set in great dignity, While the rich sit in a lowly place.
- I have seen servants on horses, While princes walk on the ground like servants.
- He who digs a pit will fall into it, And whoever breaks through a wall will be bitten by a serpent.
- He who quarries stones may be hurt by them, [And] he who splits wood may be endangered by it.
- If the ax is dull, And one does not sharpen the edge, Then he must use more strength; But wisdom brings success.
Humans have the intricate nature of helping their own people alone, particularly when they are in positions of power. This has led to tribalism and nepotism in our time. In a nation like ours where things should be done on the basis of merit, we see people sharing our common benefits on the basis of personal relationship. Intellectuals are governed by the weak and the wise are ruled by those the Scripture describes as fools. This is not God’s will for us. The danger therein is that we create room for mediocrity, affecting our commonwealth negatively. This is one of the reasons things are not in order for us as a nation. Verse 10 of our text reads thus “If the axe is dull and its edge is unsharpened, more strength is needed, but skill will bring success” (NIV).
God expects our actions especially as leaders to be directed by His standards. The problems we create as leaders today will eventually affect us sooner than later. We must in our little corners make sure that things are done accordingly. However, wisdom comes from God and He will graciously give to anyone who lacks it, and who seeks for it.
PRAYER: Lord, grant us and especially our leaders, the grace to follow Your standards.