The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 7 June 2020 – Complete In Christ
TOPIC: Complete In Christ
READ: Ephesians 1:3-14 (NKJV)
- Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly [places] in Christ,
- just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
- having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
- to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.
- In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
- which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence,
- having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself,
- that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth — in Him.
- In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
- that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
- In Him you also [trusted,] after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
- who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
In our Bible passage for today, we see the manifestation of the Trinity – God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit – (verse 3, verse 13) showing the believer’s position in Christ. God has chosen us in Christ and adopted us into His family through Jesus. In Christ, we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins, making God’s grace abound towards us in all wisdom and prudence. We are therefore sealed with Holy Spirit as a guarantee that He is in us and for us.
The implications of these spiritual blessings include thanksgiving and duty. In verse 3, we see thanksgiving: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.” The blessings are all-inclusive; we should give Him all the thanks for that. Again, the blessings imply to us the duty of “…walking worthy…” of the position in Christ (Ephesians 4:1). We are complete in Him.
PRAYER: Lord, help me see clearly my position in Christ.