The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 16 January 2022 – Follow Me
TOPIC: Follow Me
READ: John 1:43-51 (NKJV)
- The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, “Follow Me.”
- Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
- Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”
- And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
- Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!”
- Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”
- Nathanael answered and said to Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.”
- And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.” – John 1:44-51 NKJV
Here, we find Jesus engaging Philip. The simple but effective message to Philip was “follow me!” It was in following Jesus without doubts that Philip found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets wrote Jesus of Nazareth.”
Today, that invitation still rings out to us as Christ invites us to “follow” Him. To follow Him is to believe in Him, to love Him, to accept His Lordship, to keep His commandments (John 14:15-21).
To follow Him is to know Him as the Christ, the Messiah and know Him (God) who sent Him (John 17:3). It is the most important invitation in life which will enable us at the end to get to heaven where He is as He promised (John 12:26). Please, follow the Lord.
PRAYER: Prayer: Heavenly Father, grant me the grace to follow Christ daily.