The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 January 2021 – Play Your Part
Topic: Play Your Part
Read: Joshua 2:15-24 (NKJV)
- Then she let them down by a rope through the window, for her house [was] on the city wall; she dwelt on the wall.
- And she said to them, “Get to the mountain, lest the pursuers meet you. Hide there three days, until the pursuers have returned. Afterward you may go your way.”
- So the men said to her: “We [will be] blameless of this oath of yours which you have made us swear,
- “unless, [when] we come into the land, you bind this line of scarlet cord in the window through which you let us down, and unless you bring your father, your mother, your brothers, and all your father’s household to your own home.
- “So it shall be [that] whoever goes outside the doors of your house into the street, his blood [shall be] on his own head, and we [will be] guiltless. And whoever is with you in the house, his blood [shall be] on our head if a hand is laid on him.
- “And if you tell this business of ours, then we will be free from your oath which you made us swear.”
- Then she said, “According to your words, so [be] it.” And she sent them away, and they departed. And she bound the scarlet cord in the window.
- They departed and went to the mountain, and stayed there three days until the pursuers returned. The pursuers sought [them] all along the way, but did not find [them.]
- So the two men returned, descended from the mountain, and crossed over; and they came to Joshua the son of Nun, and told him all that had befallen them.
- And they said to Joshua, “Truly the LORD has delivered all the land into our hands, for indeed all the inhabitants of the country are fainthearted because of us.”
The mandate of God may not be changed because of man, but God can change man to fulfil His mandate. Observe how a prostitute acted courageously to aid divine mandate – God works in a Slerious way. Take a second look at verses 17-2l and notice how the role of each party in the agreement was assigned to sustan the agreement reached. You have a role to play in your salvation. You also have a role to play in the salvation of your family. In the time of Ezekiel, God made him a watchman (Ezek. 3:17).
Likewise we should see ourselves as watchmen in our different homes. We need to constantly show people the way of salvation through the word of God. This is a divine privilege that comes with high responsibilities as we can observe in verse 19, the risk in the house of Rahab would be to be outside the doors of the agreement house. We are only secure when we are in the righteous side with Jesus.
Don’t dodge your responsibilities. If you do, you cannot dodge the consequences of dodging those responsibilities. Play your own part in securing your salvation and also influence the process that can lead others to know Christ. Rahab understood the times in her own generation and acted wisely. You can learn from her and do likewise. Buckle up.
PRAYER: Ask God for the grace to carry out His responsibility of saving souls this year.