The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 22 December 2021 – God Will Guide And Guard You
TOPIC: God Will Guide And Guard You
READ: Matthew 2:19-23 (NKJV)
- But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt,
- saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who sought the young Child’s life are dead.”
- Then he arose, took the young Child and His mother, and came into the land of Israel.
- But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea instead of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And being warned by God in a dream, he turned aside into the region of Galilee.
- And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene.”
In this passage, God directs Joseph three times by dreams as to when to escape into Egypt with the little child; when to return to Canaan (after Herod and others that sought Jesus’ life had died), and in what city to dwell. By this we see Joseph charged with the committed care of the infant Saviour and of His mother.
God often inflicts judgments on those who persecute His people. But He guides and protects His people. Several persecutors have died in the manner that Herod did, and others have been cut off suddenly in God’s wrath. The kindness shown to Joseph and the Christ child gives us reasons to expect and trust God to guide His people when they are perplexed and guard them when in danger. True believers are dear to God as the apple of His eye – and those who dare to hurt or mock them are detested. Does the environment you live in seem hostile and life threatening? Trust in God and do His will. Trust no chariots or horses. Remember it is God’s part to direct, and ours to obey. Learn to dwell in the secret place of the Most High and the Lord will guide and guard you. Don’t be too anxious or distracted by the Herods of our time.
PRAYER: Father, guide and guard me through life’s challenges and deliver me from evil.