The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 December 2021 – Repent And Turn To God
TOPIC: Repent And Turn To God
READ: Matthew 3:1 -17 (NKJV)
- In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
- and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”
- For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.’ “
- And John himself was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey.
- Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him
- and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
- But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
- “Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance,
- “and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as [our] father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.
- “And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
- “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- “His winnowing fan [is] in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
- Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.
- And John [tried to] prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?”
- But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit [it to be so] now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.
- When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.
- And suddenly a voice [came] from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
John the Baptist’s mission in life seems to be to introduce Jesus as God’s promised Messiah. In this passage, he called people to repentance because of their sins and wickedness. His message was an announcement that the kingdom of heaven was near. The King was soon to appear and John did not even consider himself worthy to carry His sandals. The people listening to John didn’t need to be told what to repent of. They already knew and so many came forward to confess, repent and be baptised. John also used the opportunity to warn those who trusted in their biological link to Abraham.
This message is still relevant today. The Lord Jesus Christ is coming again and this time it will be to judge men. He has commanded us to preach to people and to warn them that He is coming to judge the living and the dead. People need to repent and forsake their evil ways. What area of your life is not under the full lordship and authority of God? Is there any habit you have that is not pleasing to Him? If so, you need to repent and turn away from such today! Surrender yourself fully to God. Take advantage of His grace, which is available today. It is your only hope.
PRAYER: Lord, I confess and repent of all my sins. Cleanse me and draw me to Yourself. Amen.