The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 January 2021 – You Are Safe
Topic: You Are Safe
Read: Joshua 5:1-9 (NKJV)
- So it was, when all the kings of the Amorites who [were] on the west side of the Jordan, and all the kings of the Canaanites who [were] by the sea, heard that the LORD had dried up the waters of the Jordan from before the children of Israel until we had crossed over, that their heart melted; and there was no spirit in them any longer because of the children of Israel.
- At that time the LORD said to Joshua, “Make flint knives for yourself, and circumcise the sons of Israel again the second time.”
- So Joshua made flint knives for himself, and circumcised the sons of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
- And this [is] the reason why Joshua circumcised them: All the people who came out of Egypt [who were] males, all the men of war, had died in the wilderness on the way, after they had come out of Egypt.
- For all the people who came out had been circumcised, but all the people born in the wilderness, on the way as they came out of Egypt, had not been circumcised.
- For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, till all the people [who were] men of war, who came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they did not obey the voice of the LORD — to whom the LORD swore that He would not show them the land which the LORD had sworn to their fathers that He would give us, “a land flowing with milk and honey.”
- Then Joshua circumcised their sons [whom] He raised up in their place; for they were uncircumcised, because they had not been circumcised on the way.
- So it was, when they had finished circumcising all the people, that they stayed in their places in the camp till they were healed.
- Then the LORD said to Joshua, “This day I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you.” Therefore the name of the place is called Gilgal to this day.
If the Lord is with you, the things you fear will begin to fear you. If you are faithful to God, He will cause oppositions to disappear. The Israelites crossing of the Jordan sent shivers throughout the land of Canaan (verse 1).
The Amorites and Canaanites were the two major groups living in Canaan at the time of Israel’s invasion. As you can notice, there is a dramatic change in the story – the enemy was terrified! This was exactly what Joshua and Caleb had predicted earlier in their reports to Moses after they came back from spying the land (Numbers 14:6-9). The rite of circumcision marked Israel’s position as God’s covenant people. The statement, “after the second time, refers to the fact that many of the young men were uncircunmcised at this time (verse 5). After circumcision, the Israelites waited for them to heal (verse 8). The leading of the Lord in their movement gave them courage. Otherwise, what is the reason behind circumcising people who were already marching to the war front?
Do not be afraid: you are safe in God’s hand. Most of the challenges of life go with time through the grace of God. Your life is precious before God and He sacrificed His son to secure you salvation. The Israelites renewed their covenant with God through circumcision, renew yours by restoring your former love for and service to God. You are safe as long as you remain faithful under His leading.
PRAYER: I declare that l am Yours, Oh Lord. Help me this year to trust in You fully.