The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 June 2021: True Worship Of God
TOPIC: True Worship Of God (Anglican Devotional 23 June 2021)
READ: John 4:20-24 (NKJV)
- “Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you [Jews] say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.”
- Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father.
- “You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
- “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
- “God [is] Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
After perceiving that Jesus was a Prophet, the Samaritan woman now presented the prevailing controversy of a place of worship between the Jews and Samaritans. Separate places of worship had been set up due to the enmity between both cultures. Jesus clears their misplaced priority: It is not the place of worship, but the knowledge of God (the object of worship), that should take priority. Jesus went on to reveal that God is Spirit, and the true worshippers must worship in Spirit and truth. God desires sincere, undivided worship from believers in all nations.
Today, the argument of which is the best church to worship in, is tearing apart the Body of Christ. Some go as far as classifying other Churches other than theirs as ‘dead.’ Do you know the God you worship? Do you have a relationship with Him? If you really do, you will not fret over anything because the Everlasting God is in perfect control and has authority over every situation. He demands the totality of your life to worship in sincerity. True worship is the only pathway to enduring spiritual blessedness.
PRAYER: Holy Spirit of God, release the spirit of true worship in me. Amen.