Topic: Bad Company [Open Heavens for Teens 20 November 2020]
Memorise: Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 1 Corinthians 15:33
Read: Psalms 1:1-6
- Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
- But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
- And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
- The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
- Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
- For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 22-23; James 2:1-26
A bad company is a friend or group of friends who cajole, force or encourage anyone to do anything that is against God or the well-being of a fellow human being or the fellow himself. And it does not matter whether they are Christians or not. If for instance, a group of boys bet on who would be the first to have sex with a particular girl, such a group is bad company. An adage says show me your friends and I will tell you who you are. This goes further to tell that you cannot be better than the group of persons you move with. It is unfortunate that a lot of good children from good homes have gone astray as a result of the kind of people they made friends with.
It is not difficult to know a bad friend or group of friends. You can weigh every friendship with the word of God. Our Bible reading for today clearly tells us the attitude of a bad company, the advantages of staying away from such and the punishment that a bad company will face. The word of God is complete, so if a fellow does not love the law of God, he is a bad company.
Father, please give me a discerning spirit, so that I can tell good people from bad.
Hymn: To God Be The Glory, Great Things He Hath Done
1.To God be glory, great things He hath done,
So loved he the world that He gave us His son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin
And opened the life gate that all may go in.
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord
Let the earth hear his voice!
Praise the Lord Praise the Lord
Let the people rejoice!
O Come to the father,
Through Jesus the son;
And give Him the glory!
Great things he hath done!
2.O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
To every believer the promise of God;
The vilest offender who truly believes
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives.
3.Great things he hath taught us
Great things He hath done,
And great our rejoicing through Jesus the son;
But purer, and higher, and greater will be
Our wonder, our transport when Jesus we see
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.